5/25/09

the dears, a band.

  The other evening, I was browsing through my iTunes collection looking for something good to put on while cooking a meal for myself.  What I fell upon was an old Dears album called "No Cities Left" which was released in 2003; over half a decade ago.  I forgot that this band of seven from Mon'real, Canada was even on the rotation.  Now the reason I bring all this up, is because over half a decade when I was much younger, and didn't know much about much, I was fortunate enough to watch The Dears live at the now defunct Boot Pub in Whistler, British Columbia.  I was a measly 19 year old kid, freshly turned.  I don't think I really cared about who was playing really, I just knew that the Boot sold jugs for $10 CDN and that my only intention was to get as good stinkin' drunk as I possibly could.  The opening band was sub-par from what I remember, but then The Dears came on.  I just remember hearing Murray Lightburn's voice and it sounded something of Morrissey'esque.  To say the least, I did get shitbombed, but I also found a passion for live shows.

     The Dears will be playing in Victoria, British Columbia this coming Friday, May 29 and will also be playing in the city of Vancouver the following night and then up into wine country; Kelowna, British Columbia on the Sunday.  I recommend that if you are in close proximity to either of these three areas you check them out, you won't be disappointed. 


ladies & gentleman, the dears.
      
 

No comments:

Post a Comment